Wednesday 14 May 2014

Let's talk about Avocados


Is avocado a fruit or vegetable? The jury is still out on that one haha!!

I will admit that Avocado was never a fruit that I  liked and I know of a few people who do not like it.

Thinking back to the first time I had an avocado it was in my salad and I picked it all out muttering to myself what is this horrible green thing in my salad, I couldn't stand the taste.

But in 2013 a friend of mine invited me round to hers for lunch and made Avocado soup. As I sipped a few spoons of my green soup my mouth was lost in a familiar taste and I asked her what was in the soup and she said avocado....I was shocked because the soup tasted so rich and you'll never guess what we had for dessert ...Yep!Avocado cake! From that day onwards I was in love with avocado and started putting it in all my meals.

Did you know that there are more than 75 things you can do with avocados?  To mention a few-avocado margaritas,avocado pudding, avocado cake, avocado salad,avocado bread, avocado ice cream,avocado toast, avocado fries, avocado cake, avocado lettuce and the list goes on and on.

Nutritional breakdown of avocados

Healthy fats- fats account for around three quarters of the calorie count of an avocado.Most of it is monounsaturated fat, in the form of oleic acid. Monounsaturated fat is considered to be " good fat" which reduces levels of bad cholesterol in your blood and lowers your risk of stroke and heart disease.

Protein- an average avocado contains around 4 grams of protein, which is more than most
other fruits.
 
Sugar-avocados sugar content is low compared to other fruits. Half an avocado contains approximately 0.2g of sugar.

Vitamins and minerals-avocados are an excellent source of potassium(containing more weight than bananas). In addition avocados are rich in vitamins K and B.

Health Benefits of avocado
Apart from being an excellent source of fiber and vitamins, research suggests that there may be a number of other benefits associated with the fruit, including: lowering cholesterol levels, reducing the risk of  diabetes promoting lower body weight and preventing cancer.

After a week of following the avocado enriched diet the patients experienced a 22% decrease in bad cholesterol and triglyceride levels and an 11% increase in good cholesterol.

Risks and precautions
Despite being very rare, avocado allergies do exist. According to a case report published in the journal Allergy, Asthma & Clinical Immunology, avocado allergies are associated with "coughing, wheezing, nasal stuffiness, generalised urticaria and periorbital edema".
It is important to consult your doctor if you begin to experience any unpleasant side effects after eating avocado.
Credit  :Medical NewsToday

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List