Thursday 8 May 2014

What Is A Smoothie?

Hello Smoothie Lovers,

Everyone knows what a smoothie is and how it is derived but today I wanted to touch on a little bit about the history of a smoothie with the help of Wikipedia.


What is a Smoothie?


Wikipedia defines a smoothie (alternatively spelled smoothythe name comes from the smooth property of the emulsion) is a blended and sometimes sweetened beverage made from fresh fruit (fruit smoothie) and in special cases can contain chocolate or peanut butter.


In addition to fruit, many smoothies include crushed ice, frozen fruit, honey or contain syrup and ice ingredients. They have a milkshake-like consistency that is thicker than slushdrinks. They can also contain milk, yogurt or ice cream. Smoothies are often marketed to health-conscious people, and some restaurants offer add-ins such as soy milk, whey powder, green tea, herbal supplements, or nutritional supplement mixes.

Smoothies became widely available in the United States in the late 1960s when ice cream vendors and health food stores began selling them. By the 1990s and 2000s, smoothies became available at mainstream cafés and coffee shops and in pre-bottled versions at supermarkets all over the world.

Who would have thought that smoothies have been around since the late 1960 and it became mainstream from 1999-2000s.  
On a fortnightly basis I do some vegetable/fruit shopping and to keep my smoothies nice and chilled I portion my fruits into small bags with mixed fruits.

For example, I will put some strawberries,grapes, bananas, kiwis and mangoes all together in a bag as one portion for my smoothies, this saves me adding ice to my smoothies as the fruits are already frozen and once blended it does not require any ice.


"Freeze your fruits and ditch the ice"


Bananas and strawberries

Till the next time ...keep hydrated and remain smooth!


Credit: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List